Skip to main content

A Woman in Her 20s: Loved, Protected, Yet Not Free

 


A Woman in Her Twenties, Still Waiting to Become Herself

Being a woman in your twenties is supposed to feel exciting.

People tell you that this is the age when you should dream, study, work, travel, make mistakes, build your career, meet people, and understand who you really are.

But sometimes, being a woman in your twenties feels completely different.

Sometimes it feels like you are standing at the beginning of your life, but you are not allowed to move.

You are unmarried.

You do not have a job.

You are still depending on your parents for money.

You want to study further, but even that depends on whether your parents agree.

You want to create opportunities for yourself, but even those opportunities sometimes need permission.

And after hearing "no" enough times, you slowly stop asking.

You start giving up before anyone else gets the chance to say no.

That is one of the most painful parts.

When everyone thinks you have time, but you feel like you are running out of it

People often say, "You are still young. You have plenty of time."

Maybe they are right.

But when you are a woman, society does not always make you feel like you have plenty of time.

There is always a clock somewhere.

Marriage.

Age.

Family expectations.

Relatives asking questions.

People wondering when you will settle down.

Someone will ask, "When are you getting married?"

Someone else will say, "You should start thinking about it."

Another person will say, "You cannot wait forever."

Slowly, even your own dreams start feeling like they have an expiry date.

You start wondering whether you should concentrate on your education or marriage.

Should you look for a job?

Should you prepare for an exam?

Should you pursue higher studies?

Should you wait for your parents to decide?

Should you take the opportunity in front of you?

Or should you avoid taking risks because you are already expected to get married soon?

It becomes exhausting.

Being financially dependent can affect your confidence

There is nothing wrong with receiving help from your parents.

Parents supporting their children is normal.

Education is expensive. Starting a career takes time. Not everyone gets a job immediately.

But there is a different feeling when you know that you cannot make certain decisions because you do not have your own money.

You may have ideas.

You may have plans.

You may even know exactly what you want to do.

But then comes the question:

"Who will pay for it?"

And when the answer is your parents, another question follows:

"Will they allow me to do it?"

That is when independence starts feeling very far away.

You can be educated.

You can be capable.

You can have ambitions.

You can know how to take care of yourself.

Yet you can still feel powerless because you do not have financial independence.

Sometimes you think, "If only I had my own income, I could make this decision myself."

That thought can hurt.

You can be loved and still feel trapped

This is perhaps the hardest thing to explain.

My parents love me.

They buy me clothes.

They give me food.

They take care of my needs.

If I want something, they try to give it to me.

In many ways, I am extremely fortunate.

But being cared for does not automatically mean being mentally free.

A person can have food and a comfortable home and still feel emotionally exhausted.

A person can be loved and still feel lonely.

A person can be protected and still feel trapped.

Sometimes love comes with fear.

Parents may worry about what will happen to their daughter.

They worry about society.

They worry about marriage.

They worry about safety.

They worry about what relatives will say.

And sometimes that worry becomes control.

You may want to go somewhere.

You may want to visit a relative.

You may want to meet a friend.

You may want to attend something alone.

But suddenly your gender becomes the reason why you cannot.

"You are a girl."

"You are of marriageable age."

"What will people think?"

"What if something happens?"

"Why do you need to go?"

Eventually, you stop asking.

Not because you do not want to go.

But because you already know the answer.

Marriage becomes the background noise of your life

One of the most tiring things about being an unmarried woman is how often marriage becomes a topic.

Even when you are thinking about your career, someone is thinking about your marriage.

Even when you are studying, someone is asking about marriage.

Even when you are trying to build your future, someone is discussing proposals.

And sometimes the discussions are not even peaceful.

Parents fight.

Relatives interfere.

Money becomes a subject.

Dowry becomes a subject.

Families argue about expectations.

You watch all of this and wonder:

"Why does marriage have to be this complicated?"

Marriage is supposed to be about two people deciding to build a life together.

But sometimes it becomes a negotiation between families.

And when you watch your own parents fight over dowry and other expectations, marriage can stop looking like a beautiful beginning.

It can start looking like another source of stress.

You may even begin to wonder whether remaining unmarried is safer than entering a situation where money, expectations and family pressure control your life.

Sometimes I feel like a parrot in a cage

There are days when I feel like a parrot in a cage.

The cage is comfortable.

There is food.

There is water.

There are clothes.

There is a roof.

There is love.

But it is still a cage.

The problem is that people outside the cage may not understand why the bird is unhappy.

They may say:

"Look at everything you have."

And that is true.

I know everything I have.

I am grateful for it.

But gratitude does not erase exhaustion.

Being grateful does not mean I should never want freedom.

Being loved does not mean I should never want independence.

Having a comfortable life does not mean I should stop dreaming about a life that I choose for myself.

Sometimes I feel completely independent

The strange thing is that I can feel two opposite things at the same time.

Sometimes I feel like the most independent person in my parents' love.

I can think for myself.

I can make plans.

I can study.

I can research opportunities.

I can imagine a career.

I can dream about the future.

I can have strong opinions.

But then reality reminds me that many decisions are still not completely mine.

That contradiction is difficult.

I am old enough to make decisions about my future, but sometimes not free enough to make them.

I am old enough to understand responsibility, but sometimes still treated as someone who needs permission.

I am expected to become an adult, but I am not always given the freedom that comes with adulthood.

The fear that opportunities will disappear

Another fear follows me.

What if I am wasting time?

What if this opportunity does not come again?

What if I could have built something for myself but I gave it up because I was afraid?

What if I wait too long?

What if I start my career late?

What if I lose my confidence?

What if I become so used to depending on others that I forget how to depend on myself?

These questions can become very loud at night.

You start comparing yourself with other people.

Someone has a job.

Someone has moved to another city.

Someone is travelling.

Someone is studying abroad.

Someone has started a business.

Someone is financially independent.

And you are sitting at home wondering when your own life will finally begin.

But maybe life has already begun.

Maybe this is not the end of the story.

Maybe this is just a difficult chapter.

Sometimes I am tired of carrying myself

There are days when I feel like I have to carry myself through everything.

I have to motivate myself.

I have to plan my future.

I have to convince myself that things will get better.

I have to keep studying.

I have to keep looking for opportunities.

I have to keep believing that I will eventually become independent.

And sometimes I simply become tired.

There are moments when the pressure becomes so heavy that I think about ending my life.

Then another part of me remembers all the things that have made life worth living.

A good conversation.

A favourite meal.

A new opportunity.

A small achievement.

A future I have not seen yet.

The possibility that one day I will wake up and have the freedom I always wanted.

Those moments remind me that my current situation is not necessarily my permanent situation.

I do not want my most painful day to make the final decision about my entire life.

Maybe independence does not happen all at once

I used to think independence meant having everything figured out.

A job.

Money.

A career.

A house.

Complete freedom.

But maybe independence starts much smaller.

It starts with learning something new.

Applying for an opportunity.

Building a skill.

Preparing for an exam.

Saving whatever money you can.

Speaking honestly about what you want.

Finding people who support your dreams.

Taking one small step without giving up on yourself.

Maybe independence is not a door that suddenly opens.

Maybe it is a door that we slowly learn how to unlock.

I do not want to stop loving my parents

I do not want freedom to mean losing my family.

I do not want independence to mean rejecting my parents.

I do not want to stop appreciating everything they have done for me.

I simply want them to understand that their daughter is growing up.

I want them to see me not only as someone they need to protect, but also as someone capable of building a life.

I want them to trust me.

I want to be able to make decisions.

I want to make mistakes and learn from them.

I want to work.

I want to study.

I want to travel.

I want to experience the world.

I want to become financially independent.

And I want to do all of this without feeling guilty for wanting it.

I am still here

Maybe I am not where I thought I would be in my twenties.

Maybe I am still dependent on my parents.

Maybe I am still searching for the right opportunity.

Maybe I am still fighting with my own fears.

Maybe marriage conversations will continue.

Maybe relatives will continue asking questions.

Maybe some opportunities will pass.

But that does not mean every opportunity is gone.

My life is not finished because I am unmarried.

My life is not worthless because I am unemployed.

My life is not behind because I am still studying.

My life is not meaningless because I need my parents' support.

I am still learning.

I am still trying.

I am still dreaming.

And perhaps that is enough for today.

I may feel like a parrot in a cage sometimes.

But somewhere inside that cage, there is still a voice that wants to sing.

I want to listen to that voice.

I want to give myself another chance.

I want to believe that one day I will have the freedom to choose where I go, what I study, what work I do, and what kind of life I build.

Until then, I will take it one day at a time.

Because I may be tired.

I may be scared.

I may not know exactly where my life is going.

But I am still here.

And maybe that means there is still a future waiting for me.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

India’s Hidden Power in AI: Underrated Innovations Changing Healthcare, Farming & Language Access

  Underrated Achievements of India in Artificial Intelligence When people talk about Artificial Intelligence (AI), the same names come up again and again - the US, China, big tech giants, and billion-dollar labs. India is often mentioned only as an outsourcing hub or a place with “cheap engineers.” That picture is outdated and unfair. India has quietly built important AI systems , founded impactful AI startups , and created solutions used by millions , often without global headlines. Many of these achievements focus not on ads or profits, but on healthcare, farming, language access, governance, and public welfare . This article looks at underrated AI achievements founded in India , who founded them, and how they are actually used - in simple words , without technical jargon. India’s AI Story: Quiet but Real India did not start its AI journey with flashy announcements. Instead, it grew from: Strong mathematics and engineering education Public sector research instit...

Violence Against Minorities in Bangladesh: Human Rights, Silence, and the Need for Equal Attention

When Silence Speaks Loudly: Violence Against Minorities in Bangladesh and the Question of Selective Outrage Introduction In today’s interconnected world, news travels quickly. Social media allows people to speak about injustice, raise awareness, and show solidarity with those who suffer. Around the globe, activists, celebrities, and ordinary citizens often use their voices to support human rights and condemn violence. However, many observers have started asking an uncomfortable question: why do some human-rights issues receive widespread attention while others receive far less visibility? One example often discussed is the situation of religious minorities in Bangladesh. Over the years, reports from journalists and human-rights organizations have documented incidents where minority communities - especially Hindus - have faced violence, intimidation, and destruction of property. While Bangladesh’s constitution guarantees equal rights and religious freedom, the experiences of s...

Dorothy: A Story of Love, Identity, Caste and the Right to Be Yourself

Dorothy: The Right to Love, the Freedom to Be Ourselves, and the Cruelty of Society Some films entertain us, while others make us question the society we live in. Dorothy is one such film. Through the story of Subbu and Karthik, the film explores love, gender identity, caste discrimination, patriarchy, and the cruelty people face for being different. It also makes us think about how society treats women, how men are expected to hide their emotions, and how families sometimes become places of control rather than comfort. After watching this film, one question stayed with me: Don't people deserve the freedom to live their lives in their own way? The Fear of Being Yourself Subbu was assigned male at birth but realised at the age of 16 that she was a woman. However, she could not tell her friend Karthik about her identity because she feared that he might hate her. Imagine being unable to share your true self with someone you trust because you are afraid of losing them. Imagine...